Sunday, November 06, 2011

Snow Mobiling in Stanley

Last March, (ha yes, I know March was a long long time ago) my parents invited Brayden and I to meet them in Stanley to ride the snow machines.  We stayed in this dinkey little hotel.  It wasn't much to look at, but it had an awesome natural hotspring pool in an enclosed barn a ways down by the creek. We reserved  a time slot, rode the machines down and enjoyed a good soak.  The water was so hot!  I don't think Brayden even got all the way in.  The barn had huge doors that opened towards the creek and mountains.  While we were soaking we got to watch the stars and see a fox hunting along the creek.  

The next morning, we all went riding down to the lake.  It was so beautiful.  I think we only saw one other group of people, and they were on snow shoes!

Brayden and my mom and dad
My heart about flew out of my chest when I looked back and saw this!  My mom and Brayden were fine and only tipped over because they were going so slow and trying to make a tight turn in really deep, fluffy snow.  Brayden thought it was really cool that they "crashed."
We went racing up this big hill a few times...
Brayden about dumped my dad off the back when he let him drive.  Dad's machine has a lot of kick to it.  I think this picture is of me and my dad heading up the hill.
Me in all my puffy orange coat glory....
After we got back, my dad and I took a really long ride- from Stanley to Lowman.  It was amazing!  Since it was the middle of the week, there were no tracks, just fresh snow.  I've seen a lot of beautiful country, but this ride had to be one of my favorites.  I was really proud that I made it the whole way (not that I had a lot of choice in the middle of nowhere) since I have hardly any experience on a snow mobile.  Even though you're basically just sitting there, it still wears you out :)

The weather was perfect.  It started to snow a little on us, so we decided to stop for lunch when we found a good spot.  Lucky for us, right after we came upon a "warming" hut.  So, we took a little break and had lunch.  

Because it was such a long ride, my mom and Brayden picked us up with the truck.  The ride back was much warmer and more comfortable in the truck, but it wasn't nearly as beautiful.

Taking a little break that night.

The next day we had to say good-bye.  On the way home, I decided to drive back through Garden Valley, although I somehow missed my turn and ended up going over the pass to Idaho City.  Of course it was snowing- a ton- and I was just in Billy's car.  I don't think I've ever been so nervous, especially because I had my son with me.  There were hardly any cars on the road.  At one point in time, my car was barely making it up the hill.  With white knuckles and a prayer we made it home safely.  

0 comments: