Friday, June 27, 2008

Mr. (and Mrs.) Smith Go To Washington


Okay, I'm trying to get caught up on my blogging, so here's another post...
For our tenth anniversary Billy and I went to Washington D.C. with his sister Jamie and her hubby Nate. It was such an awesome vacation. We spent the first two days in Gettysburg, decided to hit Hershey, Pennsylvannia (kind of random, but fun) then we went to D.C.
We stayed with my 2nd cousin's in-laws,Mark and Libby, whom we had never met, but they were fabulous, gracious hosts and made us feel right at home. They live just a few block from the capitol and the metro, so it was the perfect place. They have a beautiful house and the sweetest dog. Thanks Emily and Ben for hooking us up with the best place to stay in D.C.
Let's see- I think we did almost everything there...
Lots of walking, Memorial Day concert on the Capitol lawn, riding the subway, Farmer's market, Air and Space museum (Billy's favorite), Holocaust museum (really moving and humbling experience), two pregnant girls trying to keep up with their hubbies who for some reason always walked 15 feet ahead of us, The printing and engraving place where they print all the money, all the memorials- Lincoln, Washington, WW2, Vietnam, Korean War, FDR, (I'm sure I'm missing some), the National archives where the constitution is, The Old Post Office tower, Library of congress, Jamie getting pooped on by a bird, capitol tour, the National Cathedral, Natural History museum, Arlington cemetary, the White house (Old George couldn't meet with us that day, so we just saw the outside) and the Washington D.C. temple. I'm sure I'm leaving out stuff, and I would love to write about how great each thing was, but I would never get it finished. Anyway, it was a great experience and full of so much history. To get to walk where great leaders have walked was really exciting. It was great to be there over Memorial day and remember all those that have made our country what it is today.
And a special shout out to my mom and Billy's mom for watching our kids while we were away.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I went to DC when I was in Jr High and didn't really appreciate all the history back there. I do remember the feeling at the cemetary--I am still reminded of it every Memorial Day. Cool weekend to go and Happy 10th Anniversary!